Problems with California’s Fair Plan
The CA Fair Plan is an insurance coverage plan for residents who cannot qualify for other options. Standard insurance providers tend to avoid offering policies to homeowners in areas where wildfires are a significant concern. While it meets the basic requirements for insurance to satisfy the terms of a mortgage, it is rarely adequate in an actual emergency.
Past complaints from those carrying one of these policies include:
- Homeowners are paid the actual cash value of their property and not the replacement costs of damages.
- Other structures on a piece of property are often excluded from coverage.
- It does not provide for living expenses while your home is being repaired.
- Providers require significant and expensive property alterations to retain coverage.
The CA Fair Plan is an insurance coverage option of last resort. It will meet the basic level of coverage, but is an expensive policy that does not provide the same value to consumers as other policies. Consumers that rely on this plan are encouraged to continue looking for better options
What You Can Do
If your house is in an area with open spaces covered in dry brush or grass, it is likely that you must rely on the CA Fair Plan to protect your home. There are some things you can do to change your circumstances and improve your wildfire preparedness:
- Remove all debris from your property.
- Clear out shrubs, leaves, and brush.
- Keep gutters clean and free from falling leaves and pine needles
- Only plant trees that are suitable for the area. A horticulturalist can help you select
- Landscape your property with appropriate vertical and horizontal spacing of trees and plants
Free Fire Zone Inspections specializes in helping homeowners find the insurance coverage they need to adequately protect their property from disaster. These consultations do not cost you anything. With this information, search for a better insurance plan. Get into contact with Free Fire Zone Inspections, and schedule an appointment today.